AscTec Pelican: Ubuntu 10.10 Installation Guide

AscTec Pelican: Ubuntu 10.10 Installation Guide

IvanDryanovski
Administrator
Hi everyone,

We have put up some new tutorials regarding Ubuntu installation on the
Pelican here:

http://robotics.ccny.cuny.edu/wiki/AscTec/Software

The tutorials cover installing Ubuntu 10.10 directly  to a new SD
card, setting up wireless / MMC drivers, and backing up your cards.
The install procedure only works with certain SD cards - it appears
that there is a compatibility issue with the CoreExpress BIOS. Details
on which cards you can use can be found here:

http://robotics.ccny.cuny.edu/wiki/AscTec/SDCardDiscussion

We hope the information we put together will be helpful. Your feedback
is, as usual, greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ivan Dryanovski
William Morris
CCNY Robotics Lab

Re: AscTec Pelican: Ubuntu 10.10 Installation Guide

bouffard
Hey Ivan,

Just a test email to see if replying works as it ought to rather than
how I suspect it might be working...

Pat

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 3:58 PM, IvanDryanovski [via asctec-users]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> We have put up some new tutorials regarding Ubuntu installation on the
> Pelican here:
>
> http://robotics.ccny.cuny.edu/wiki/AscTec/Software
>
> The tutorials cover installing Ubuntu 10.10 directly  to a new SD
> card, setting up wireless / MMC drivers, and backing up your cards.
> The install procedure only works with certain SD cards - it appears
> that there is a compatibility issue with the CoreExpress BIOS. Details
> on which cards you can use can be found here:
>
> http://robotics.ccny.cuny.edu/wiki/AscTec/SDCardDiscussion
>
> We hope the information we put together will be helpful. Your feedback
> is, as usual, greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ivan Dryanovski
> William Morris
> CCNY Robotics Lab

Re: AscTec Pelican: Ubuntu 10.10 Installation Guide

bouffard
Great stuff. Thanks for posting the guide.

I think we'll try using it to setup additional flyers. Before diving
in I have some questions:

- Is the custom ISO updated with the latest .debs for 10.10 (such that
one doesn't have to go through the annoying step of having almost
every package downloaded and installed right after the initial
install)?
- Does the custom Ubuntu install include all the dev packages needed
to compile ROS modules?
- Just curious about the choice of ext3 vs (the default, IIRC) ext4
filesystem. I do vaguely recall hearing some issues with ext4 when it
first became the default; are those still an issue? Have you tried
both and noted better performance with ext3? I've been wondering
whether the slowness of apt-get updates on our Pelican (which is
10.04, ext4) are in part due to ext4.

Cheers,

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> We have put up some new tutorials regarding Ubuntu installation on the
> Pelican here:
>
> http://robotics.ccny.cuny.edu/wiki/AscTec/Software
>
> The tutorials cover installing Ubuntu 10.10 directly  to a new SD
> card, setting up wireless / MMC drivers, and backing up your cards.
> The install procedure only works with certain SD cards - it appears
> that there is a compatibility issue with the CoreExpress BIOS. Details
> on which cards you can use can be found here:
>
> http://robotics.ccny.cuny.edu/wiki/AscTec/SDCardDiscussion
>
> We hope the information we put together will be helpful. Your feedback
> is, as usual, greatly appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Ivan Dryanovski
> William Morris
> CCNY Robotics Lab

Re: AscTec Pelican: Ubuntu 10.10 Installation Guide

IvanDryanovski
Administrator
Hi Patrick,

I've replied inline below

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 2:21 PM, bouffard [via asctec-users]
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Great stuff. Thanks for posting the guide.
>
> I think we'll try using it to setup additional flyers. Before diving
> in I have some questions:

No problem. Make sure you check out the section about SD cards.

> - Is the custom ISO updated with the latest .debs for 10.10 (such that
> one doesn't have to go through the annoying step of having almost
> every package downloaded and installed right after the initial
> install)?
> - Does the custom Ubuntu install include all the dev packages needed
> to compile ROS modules?

No and No. I wanted to keep the ISO setup minimal - basically, only
the things you need to boot into Ubuntu 10.10 and have a working
wireless and MMC drivers. This way it's generic and it doesn't add
things people might not need. What we decided to do is install that
way, then download any additional software on the helicopter, and then
make a copy with dd.

> - Just curious about the choice of ext3 vs (the default, IIRC) ext4
> filesystem. I do vaguely recall hearing some issues with ext4 when it
> first became the default; are those still an issue? Have you tried
> both and noted better performance with ext3? I've been wondering
> whether the slowness of apt-get updates on our Pelican (which is
> 10.04, ext4) are in part due to ext4.

I chose etx3 because it was what the AscTec manual suggested we use.
They did not give any reasoning behind it, and I have no idea the
pros/cons of either. If you think ext4 is better, I can modify the
instructions, and also recompile the ISO we provide to use ext4

> Cheers,
> Pat

Ivan

Re: AscTec Pelican: Ubuntu 10.10 Installation Guide

Bill Morris
Administrator
To follow up on microSD card testing, the 32 GB PATRIOT MicroSD card
part# PSF32GMCSDHC10 does not work. I have updated the wiki.
If anyone knows of part #s for working MicroSD cards please let me know.
I'm trying the Transcend 16GB Micro SDHC Flash Card with SD Adapter
Model TS16GUSDHC6 next.
> > The tutorials cover installing Ubuntu 10.10 directly  to a new SD
> > card, setting up wireless / MMC drivers, and backing up your cards.
> > The install procedure only works with certain SD cards - it appears
> > that there is a compatibility issue with the CoreExpress BIOS.
> Details
> > on which cards you can use can be found here:
> >
> > http://robotics.ccny.cuny.edu/wiki/AscTec/SDCardDiscussion

Re: AscTec Pelican: Ubuntu 10.10 Installation Guide

Stefan.Eichhorn
Unfortunately no bigger SD cards than 8GB can be used for the Atom processor board. We tested some more but there was no one working.

The types we tested WITHOUT success:
• ADATA, 16GB microSDHC card, class 10
• ADATA, 16GB microSDHC card, class 4
• Transcend, 32GB, mircoSDHC, class 2
• SanDisk, 32GB, microSDHC, class 4
• Kingston, 16GB, microSDHC, class 4

The reason is because the Intel chip set used for the Board does not support more than 8GB of storage.

However, we are currently designing an extension board that enables you to use compact flash (CF) cards at the Atom boards. If everything works perfectly fine you get capacities up to 64GB, along with write and read speeds of up to 60 megabytes per second (MB/sec).
Furthermore the extension board provides you with a Mini PCI Express Slot.

Would this help you?!

SD Cards (was: Re: AscTec Pelican: Ubuntu 10.10 Installation Guide)

bouffard
Dear Stefan,

So just to confirm, exactly what specifications of microSD card *will work*? Obviously no larger than 8 GB but what about the other parameters, particularly the class? We're planning to buy a bunch more of them--specific manufacturer and model number would be ideal.

Regarding the extension board, I don't see that as something we'd have much use for--we don't tend to gather a lot of data onboard for later processing. If we simply needed more storage capacity onboard, adding a USB thumb drive would probably be simpler and more flexible (though perhaps not as speedy as the CF card). But I could see that it would be useful for people doing a lot of high-res aerial imagery or something like that.

Thanks,
Pat

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 5:02 AM, Stefan.Eichhorn [via asctec-users] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Unfortunately no bigger SD cards than 8GB can be used for the Atom processor board. We tested some more but there was no one working.

The types we tested WITHOUT success:
• ADATA, 16GB microSDHC card, class 10
• ADATA, 16GB microSDHC card, class 4
• Transcend, 32GB, mircoSDHC, class 2
• SanDisk, 32GB, microSDHC, class 4
• Kingston, 16GB, microSDHC, class 4

The reason is because the Intel chip set used for the Board does not support more than 8GB of storage.

However, we are currently designing an extension board that enables you to use compact flash (CF) cards at the Atom boards. If everything works perfectly fine you get capacities up to 64GB, along with write and read speeds of up to 60 megabytes per second (MB/sec).
Furthermore the extension board provides you with a Mini PCI Express Slot.

Would this help you?!

http://asctec-users.986163.n3.nabble.com/AscTec-Pelican-Ubuntu-10-10-Installation-Guide-tp2291513p2451116.html
To start a new topic under asctec-users, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from asctec-users, click here.

Re: AscTec Pelican: Ubuntu 10.10 Installation Guide

Joao Pedro
This link is not on anymore, could you send another guide to install ubuntu on pelican?

I cannot find this kind of help in anywhere.

Thanks

Re: AscTec Pelican: Ubuntu 10.10 Installation Guide

JaMora
Hello Joao,

You can fin the asctec images on the wiki here: http://wiki.asctec.de/xwiki/bin/view/AscTec+Boards/Atomboard+Downloads

I have only tried with the 12.04 version, but I believe it should work for the 10.04 available images. After this you can upgrade it to 10.10 if you wish to use that specific version.

Here are the general instructions:

Extract:
$ tar -xjf asctec_atomboard_recovery_12.04_v1.01.img.tar.bz2

Copy image to a microSD card using dd:
$ dd if=atomboard-sdcard-V4-ub1204-20130517.img of=/dev/sdb

Hope this helps,