IDS uEye LE Camera - mpeg stream

Jeroen.van.Emden
Does someone know how to create an mpeg stream with a IDS uEye LE Camera under Linux?

As the camera isn't using the video4linux interface it is not possible to stream it with ffmpeg.

Jeroen

Re: IDS uEye LE Camera - mpeg stream

Jeroen.van.Emden
What other camera's are available to build a video stream over the wifi in combination with the Atom board?

It sound be nice if it has hardware encoding on-board as the Atom sucks at encoding it (highest resolution was 320x240 @ 15fps).

RE: IDS uEye LE Camera - mpeg stream

MarkusAchtelik
Hi,

you could have a look at this (multi) camera: http://www.vrmagic.com/imaging/news/article/linux-based-intelligent-multi-sensor-camera/ it has a DSP onboard which you could use for  compression.

Besides that, you could either use ROS and the compressed image transport. It uses OpenCV's jpeg implementation which is I think not quite optimal. As far as I remember, we achieved ~20 Hz at VGA resolution.
Or another solution:
Use Camunits and Camunits extra, there is a fast implementation for jpeg compression using Intel's IPP. To transmit it, you can use LCM and the bot-lcm-tunnel. you can find the links here: http://robotics.ccny.cuny.edu/wiki/AscTec/Software

Best, Markus

________________________________

RE: IDS uEye LE Camera - mpeg stream

Jeroen.van.Emden

The VRmagic are very interesting with their DSP, however they are sending their video over the ethernet instead of usb.

Another camera I found is the Point Grey FireFly MV camera which uses the libdc1394 interface for video, which looks the same as the IDS camera we bought together with the Pelican.

Furthermore I am not using ROS as the groundstation will run a tablet which isn't running Linux. Also the documentation on how to get it working was vague. So I dropped it and start working on my own program in c++.

Best regards, Jeroen

RE: IDS uEye LE Camera - mpeg stream

Bill Morris
Administrator
On Wed, 2011-02-23 at 23:19 -0800, Jeroen.van.Emden [via asctec-users]
wrote:
> The VRmagic are very interesting with their DSP, however they are
> sending their video over the ethernet instead of usb.
>

> Another camera I found is the Point Grey FireFly MV camera which uses
> the libdc1394 interface for video, which looks the same as the IDS
> camera we bought together with the Pelican.

We are using the Point Grey chameleon, which does firewire over USB and
has a global shutter.

> Furthermore I am not using ROS as the groundstation will run a tablet
> which isn't running Linux. Also the documentation on how to get it
> working was vague. So I dropped it and start working on my own program
> in c++.

If the issue is just working on a tablet, you may want to look at
http://www.ros.org/news/2011/02/rospy-on-android.html