Pelican pose control accuracy

Steven Bellens
Hi,

This question mainly to all those ROS UAV users working with an Asctec
Pelican quadrotor: what's the typical hovering accuracy you can
obtain? I got a first basic controller working but, before I start
trying to optimize is, would like to have an idea of the typical
performance I can achieve.

regards,

Steven

Re: Pelican pose control accuracy

bouffard
That will depend in large part on what kind of sensing you are using.
Vicon? GPS? Ultrasonic rangefinder? Laser rangefinder? Kinect? :)

Pat

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Steven Bellens [via asctec-users]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This question mainly to all those ROS UAV users working with an Asctec
> Pelican quadrotor: what's the typical hovering accuracy you can
> obtain? I got a first basic controller working but, before I start
> trying to optimize is, would like to have an idea of the typical
> performance I can achieve.
>
> regards,
>
> Steven

Re: Pelican pose control accuracy

Steven Bellens
2011/2/21 bouffard [via asctec-users]
<[hidden email]>:
> That will depend in large part on what kind of sensing you are using.
> Vicon? GPS? Ultrasonic rangefinder? Laser rangefinder? Kinect? :)

A K600 vision system, comparable with a Vicon system. It provides sub
millimeter accuracy.

Steven

> Pat
>
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 9:08 AM, Steven Bellens [via asctec-users]
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> This question mainly to all those ROS UAV users working with an Asctec
>> Pelican quadrotor: what's the typical hovering accuracy you can
>> obtain? I got a first basic controller working but, before I start
>> trying to optimize is, would like to have an idea of the typical
>> performance I can achieve.
>>
>> regards,
>>
>> Steven

Re: Pelican pose control accuracy

Bill Morris
Administrator
On Mon, 2011-02-21 at 10:44 -0800, Steven Bellens [via asctec-users]
wrote:
> 2011/2/21 bouffard [via asctec-users]
> <[hidden email]>:
> > That will depend in large part on what kind of sensing you are
> using.
> > Vicon? GPS? Ultrasonic rangefinder? Laser rangefinder? Kinect? :)
>
> A K600 vision system, comparable with a Vicon system. It provides sub
> millimeter accuracy.

Even with the best accuracy you can have some disturbances due to
non-linear aerodynamics on the system, especially close to the
transition between hover in ground effect and hover out of ground
effect. AscTec sells some long extension legs which add like 150mm to
the height and help with ground effect issues. Also, flying in a narrow
hallway will cause you more problems than a larger room.