Programming RC Controller

ndutoit
Hello All,

Our Pelican shipped with a Spectrum DX7 RC controller. However, the system did not respond to the GPS/Height and Serial switches on the remote. So we tried to "learn in" the controller using the Windows software that shipped with the vehicle and following the instructions in the manual. We could get all the way to the "write to flash" step, but there we get stuck. It seems to have written something to the flash, though not the right thing since we now don't have any control from RC (i.e., we can't even start the motors since yaw commands are not interpreted properly). When we go through the RC calibration steps and click the "write to flash" button, the RC commands in the main window does not get updated, even though the commands are received (as can be seen in the calibration window). We have repeated this process, and tried connecting with both the X-Bee and the USB connectors.`

Has anyone run into this? Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Noel du Toit
Postdoc, Control and Dynamical Systems
California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, CA 91106
Tel: (626) 200-7097
Email: [hidden email]

Re: Programming RC Controller

Bill Morris
Administrator
On Mon, 2011-02-21 at 17:18 -0800, ndutoit [via asctec-users] wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Our Pelican shipped with a Spectrum DX7 RC controller. However, the
> system did not respond to the GPS/Height and Serial switches on the
> remote. So we tried to "learn in" the controller using the Windows
> software that shipped with the vehicle and following the instructions
> in the manual. We could get all the way to the "write to flash" step,
> but there we get stuck. It seems to have written something to the
> flash, though not the right thing since we now don't have any control
> from RC (i.e., we can't even start the motors since yaw commands are
> not interpreted properly). When we go through the RC calibration steps
> and click the "write to flash" button, the RC commands in the main
> window does not get updated, even though the commands are received (as
> can be seen in the calibration window). We have repeated this process,
> and tried connecting with both the X-Bee and the USB connectors.`
We ended up getting a Spectrum DX7 separately and just needed to bind
it. http://robotics.ccny.cuny.edu/wiki/AscTec/Misc

There was a trick with setting the right flight mode so the switches
work.

It needs to be Acro not Heli
if you hold select and down on the DX7 when powering it on you can get
to the setup menus.

On the [input select] page it should say
AUX2:2P SW
AUX2 TRIM:INH

I'm checking on a humming bird remote but I'm pretty sure its the same,
the problem is the 2P swtich setting.

On the regular menus when you can get to by pressing select and down at
the same time. I also suggest decreasing the Aileron and Elevator
settings to make it much easier to fly.

Pictures of the menu settings are attached, hopefully.
If it works let me know and we can update the wiki.

If someone from AscTec wants to post their settings thats great too.

asctec-menu-01.jpg (260K) Download Attachment
asctec-menu-02.jpg (243K) Download Attachment