Re: Asctec Pelican atom board connection

Re: Asctec Pelican atom board connection

Steven Bellens
2011/2/17 Steven Bellens <[hidden email]>:

> 2011/2/15 Bill Morris [via asctec-users]
> <[hidden email]>:
>> On Tue, 2011-02-15 at 10:48 -0800, Steven Bellens [via asctec-users]
>> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've been experimenting with this Atom expansion board some time ago,
>>> but never really got to the point of connecting it to the helicopter.
>>> Digging in my e-mail archive, I found some e-mail of Stefan
>>> explaining
>>> me how to do so:
>>>
>>> "If you like to use the Atom board in between I recommend to use the
>>> serial cable between IMU and Atom board to link these two and to use
>>> the Wi-Fi to interact with the ground station."
>>>
>>> Apologies to you, Stefan, for not following this up, as I had other
>>> priorities at that time. By now, I think this mailing list is more
>>> appropriate, hence my question here:
>>>
>>> How do I connect this board to the Pelican helicopter and read out
>>> the
>>> data structs?
>>> I already have a wi-fi connection set-up for communication with the
>>> ground station.
>>> I found this little wire in the Pelican box going from mini-usb to
>>> some small grey connection (I'm not familiar with that type) which
>>> seems to plug in one of the helicopter main boards plugs. Is this the
>>> one I need to use? If so, than how do I access the data structs? If
>>> not, what else is available? :)
>> You need to connect the serial port on the atom board to replace the
>> XBee connection.
>>
>> http://robotics.ccny.cuny.edu/wiki/AscTec/Docs
>> If you look at the carrier board manual on page #4 you will see where
>> the serial ports on the Atom board are located.
>
> I have those located, but the serial port widths of the atom board are
> much wider then the serial cable connector (I'm using the one which
> was connected to the Xbee module here). The serial cable has 6
> outputs, whereas the ones on the atom board have 10 pins ...

I found this extra cable while searching for some new stuff, which
fits the atom board and the pelican low level board. I didn't expect
it to serve this goal as it only has two pins connected, but
apparently it does:  I was just able to access the Pelican status
information from the atom board. Thanks for the help!

Steven

> Steven

Re: Asctec Pelican atom board connection

Paul
Thanks for the tips - you probably saved me a couple emails to Stefan.

Would you happen to be willing to share source for talking to the Pelican?  Or did you use wine and the windows executable to establish a connection.

Is anyone aware of any open-source LCM programs written for the CoreExpress + Pelican?

Paul

Re: Asctec Pelican atom board connection

Bill Morris
Administrator
On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 10:24 -0800, Paul [via asctec-users] wrote:
> Thanks for the tips - you probably saved me a couple emails to
> Stefan.
>
> Would you happen to be willing to share source for talking to the
> Pelican?  Or did you use wine and the windows executable to establish
> a connection.

To bind the trannsmitter to the Pelican you need the control software,
to get that to run in Linux follow these instructions.
http://robotics.ccny.cuny.edu/wiki/AscTec/AscTec_AutoPilot_Control

> Is anyone aware of any open-source LCM programs written for the
> CoreExpress + Pelican?

We are using ROS which is similar. Here is some code to get the Pelican
working with ROS. A new version of the code is coming out in the next
week though.
http://www.ros.org/wiki/asctec_drivers

Let me know if you have other questions.

Re: Asctec Pelican atom board connection

IvanDryanovski
Administrator
Hi Paul,

We've been working on open source drivers for the pelican. Take a look here:

http://www.ros.org/wiki/asctec_drivers

The "asctec_autopilot" is the stack that you need. It's implemented to
work in the ROS framework, but it can probably be reworked easily.
We're using the AscTec serial SDK and polling for the desired
structures. We have been using this for over a year, and have come to
the conclusion that it's not very optimal. We have been thinking of
completely replacing the polling loop / SDK with an LCM connection
that runs onboard the HL controller and publishes data periodically.

You can take a look at what we're using now. If you are interested in
developing an LCM bridge, let us know.

Ivan

PS. Looks like Bill just answered along the same lines.

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Paul [via asctec-users]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the tips - you probably saved me a couple emails to Stefan.
>
> Would you happen to be willing to share source for talking to the Pelican?
>  Or did you use wine and the windows executable to establish a connection.
>
> Is anyone aware of any open-source LCM programs written for the CoreExpress
> + Pelican?
>
> Paul

Re: Asctec Pelican atom board connection

Steven Bellens
2011/2/18 IvanDryanovski [via asctec-users]
<[hidden email]>:

> Hi Paul,
>
> We've been working on open source drivers for the pelican. Take a look here:
>
> http://www.ros.org/wiki/asctec_drivers
>
> The "asctec_autopilot" is the stack that you need. It's implemented to
> work in the ROS framework, but it can probably be reworked easily.
> We're using the AscTec serial SDK and polling for the desired
> structures. We have been using this for over a year, and have come to
> the conclusion that it's not very optimal. We have been thinking of
> completely replacing the polling loop / SDK with an LCM connection
> that runs onboard the HL controller and publishes data periodically.

Did you only have connection issues with the Xbee or did you
experience the same interrupts using the wi-fi connection?

Steven

> You can take a look at what we're using now. If you are interested in
> developing an LCM bridge, let us know.
>
> Ivan
>
> PS. Looks like Bill just answered along the same lines.
>
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Paul [via asctec-users]
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks for the tips - you probably saved me a couple emails to Stefan.
>>
>> Would you happen to be willing to share source for talking to the Pelican?
>>  Or did you use wine and the windows executable to establish a connection.
>>
>> Is anyone aware of any open-source LCM programs written for the
>> CoreExpress
>> + Pelican?
>>
>> Paul

Re: Asctec Pelican atom board connection

MarkusAchtelik

We're working with the Pelicans for some time as well and also came to the conclusion that polling data is not optimal, especially in terms of time delays. Therefore we started implementing our own code on the HL processor to stream data periodically at a much higher baudrate. Data then gets published as ROS messages. We're currently cleaning up the code and plan to release it under the ethz-asl stacks. Would that be interesting for you?

Best, Markus

<http://www.ros.org/wiki/asctec_drivers>http://www.ros.org/wiki/asctec_drivers

________________________________
<http://asctec-users.986163.n3.nabble.com/Re-Asctec-Pelican-atom-board-connection-tp2519038p2528748.html>http://asctec-users.986163.n3.nabble.com/Re-Asctec-Pelican-atom-board-connection-tp2519038p2528748.html
To start a new topic under asctec-users, email [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>
To unsubscribe from asctec-users, click here<

Re: Asctec Pelican atom board connection

Bill Morris
Administrator
On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 14:18 -0800, Steven Bellens [via asctec-users]
wrote:

> 2011/2/18 IvanDryanovski [via asctec-users]
> <[hidden email]>:
>
> > Hi Paul,
> >
> > We've been working on open source drivers for the pelican. Take a
> look here:
> >
> > http://www.ros.org/wiki/asctec_drivers
> >
> > The "asctec_autopilot" is the stack that you need. It's implemented
> > work in the ROS framework, but it can probably be reworked easily.
> > We're using the AscTec serial SDK and polling for the desired
> > structures. We have been using this for over a year, and have come
> > the conclusion that it's not very optimal. We have been thinking of
> > completely replacing the polling loop / SDK with an LCM connection
> > that runs onboard the HL controller and publishes data periodically.
>
> Did you only have connection issues with the Xbee or did you
> experience the same interrupts using the wi-fi connection?

For our standard setup we poll data and we send commands to the LL
controller from the Atom processor. In this configuration we can get
something like a 20Hz update frequency. The best we have been able to
achieve reliably with the XBee is about 10Hz. If you don't need to send
commands you can probably double your polling frequency.

The main performance issue is that right now the following has to
happen.

1) send polling request
2) receive data requested
3) send motor command
4) receive ACK

This cycle repeats but you can't skip ahead to step 1 without completing
step 4. There are noticeable delays at each step caused by the state
machine on the LL controller.

We currently have two thoughts.
1) Use the HL controller to output sensor data at a fixed interval
optimized for performance, with control messages handled by the LL
controller. This requires two serial connections to the Atom processor.

2) Rewrite the HL controller to support MAVlink. This seems like the
better option long term.

The main hold up right now is that the licensing for the HL controller
needs to be fixed.

Re: Asctec Pelican atom board connection

bouffard
On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 3:34 PM, markus.achtelik [via asctec-users]
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We're working with the Pelicans for some time as well and also came to the
> conclusion that polling data is not optimal, especially in terms of time
> delays. Therefore we started implementing our own code on the HL processor
> to stream data periodically at a much higher baudrate. Data then gets
> published as ROS messages. We're currently cleaning up the code and plan to
> release it under the ethz-asl stacks. Would that be interesting for you?

Very interesting over here!

Cheers,
Pat

> Best, Markus
>
> Am 18.02.2011 um 19:39 schrieb "IvanDryanovski [via asctec-users]"<[hidden
> email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> We've been working on open source drivers for the pelican. Take a look here:
>
> <http://www.ros.org/wiki/asctec_drivers>http://www.ros.org/wiki/asctec_drivers
>
> The "asctec_autopilot" is the stack that you need. It's implemented to
> work in the ROS framework, but it can probably be reworked easily.
> We're using the AscTec serial SDK and polling for the desired
> structures. We have been using this for over a year, and have come to
> the conclusion that it's not very optimal. We have been thinking of
> completely replacing the polling loop / SDK with an LCM connection
> that runs onboard the HL controller and publishes data periodically.
>
> You can take a look at what we're using now. If you are interested in
> developing an LCM bridge, let us know.
>
> Ivan
>
> PS. Looks like Bill just answered along the same lines.
>
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 1:24 PM, Paul [via asctec-users]
> <[hidden email]</user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=2528748&i=0>> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the tips - you probably saved me a couple emails to Stefan.
>>
>> Would you happen to be willing to share source for talking to the Pelican?
>>  Or did you use wine and the windows executable to establish a connection.
>>
>> Is anyone aware of any open-source LCM programs written for the
>> CoreExpress
>> + Pelican?
>>
>> Paul

> ________________________________
> below:
> <http://asctec-users.986163.n3.nabble.com/Re-Asctec-Pelican-atom-board-connection-tp2519038p2528748.html>http://asctec-users.986163.n3.nabble.com/Re-Asctec-Pelican-atom-board-connection-tp2519038p2528748.html
> To start a new topic under asctec-users, email [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden
> email]>

Re: Asctec Pelican atom board connection

IvanDryanovski
Administrator
On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 6:34 PM, markus.achtelik [via asctec-users]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We're working with the Pelicans for some time as well and also came to the
> conclusion that polling data is not optimal, especially in terms of time
> delays. Therefore we started implementing our own code on the HL processor
> to stream data periodically at a much higher baudrate. Data then gets
> published as ROS messages. We're currently cleaning up the code and plan to
> release it under the ethz-asl stacks. Would that be interesting for you?
>
> Best, Markus

Hi Markus,

Yes, we would be very interested. What kind of information are you
pusblishing? Do you also handle control input?

Ivan

RE: Asctec Pelican atom board connection

MarkusAchtelik
>Yes, we would be very interested. What kind of information are you
>pusblishing? Do you also handle control input?

Hi,

we're currently publishing attitude, angular velocity, acc, height, dheight at 100 Hz, some status data at 2 Hz and GPS at 5 Hz. The timestamp of the HL is synchronized to the host computer, to align IMU data with other sensor's data.
Control input to the LL is handeled as well. We also have data fusion for position with IMU and a position controller running on the HL, but that still needs to be tested a bit more before publishing it ;-)

Best, Markus

Re: Asctec Pelican atom board connection

Steven Bellens
2011/2/22 markus.achtelik [via asctec-users]
<[hidden email]>:

>>Yes, we would be very interested. What kind of information are you
>>pusblishing? Do you also handle control input?
>
> Hi,
>
> we're currently publishing attitude, angular velocity, acc, height, dheight
> at 100 Hz, some status data at 2 Hz and GPS at 5 Hz. The timestamp of the HL
> is synchronized to the host computer, to align IMU data with other sensor's
> data.
> Control input to the LL is handeled as well. We also have data fusion for
> position with IMU and a position controller running on the HL, but that
> still needs to be tested a bit more before publishing it ;-)

This definitely looks very interesting. Markus, please keep us posted
here, will you?
I'll be happy to test out this code upon release.

regards,

Steven

> Best, Markus

Re: Asctec Pelican atom board connection

bouffard
Markus,

That sounds like a very useful bit of software. I'd be very interested
in helping test it as well.

What software are you using on the Atom side of the connection? Is it
integrated with ROS?

Cheers,
Pat

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 8:18 AM, Steven Bellens [via asctec-users]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2011/2/22 markus.achtelik [via asctec-users]
> <[hidden email]>:
>>>Yes, we would be very interested. What kind of information are you
>>>pusblishing? Do you also handle control input?
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> we're currently publishing attitude, angular velocity, acc, height,
>> dheight
>> at 100 Hz, some status data at 2 Hz and GPS at 5 Hz. The timestamp of the
>> HL
>> is synchronized to the host computer, to align IMU data with other
>> sensor's
>> data.
>> Control input to the LL is handeled as well. We also have data fusion for
>> position with IMU and a position controller running on the HL, but that
>> still needs to be tested a bit more before publishing it ;-)
> This definitely looks very interesting. Markus, please keep us posted
> here, will you?
> I'll be happy to test out this code upon release.
>
> regards,
>
> Steven
>

>> Best, Markus

RE: Asctec Pelican atom board connection

MarkusAchtelik
Hi,

yes, it's integrated into ROS. I split it into one part talking to the HL and one talking to ROS, so it should be easy to use it with e.g. LCM as well.
I'm currently a bit busy since IROS deadline is approaching, but I could try getting something ready to test by middle/end of next week. There are also a few open questions I have regarding final message format etc... should we open another thread for that?

Best, Markus
________________________________

<[hidden email]<UrlBlockedError.aspx>> wrote:

> 2011/2/22 markus.achtelik [via asctec-users]
> <[hidden email]>:
>>>Yes, we would be very interested. What kind of information are you
>>>pusblishing? Do you also handle control input?
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> we're currently publishing attitude, angular velocity, acc, height,
>> dheight
>> at 100 Hz, some status data at 2 Hz and GPS at 5 Hz. The timestamp of the
>> HL
>> is synchronized to the host computer, to align IMU data with other
>> sensor's
>> data.
>> Control input to the LL is handeled as well. We also have data fusion for
>> position with IMU and a position controller running on the HL, but that
>> still needs to be tested a bit more before publishing it ;-)
> This definitely looks very interesting. Markus, please keep us posted
> here, will you?
> I'll be happy to test out this code upon release.
>
> regards,
>
> Steven
>

>> Best, Markus
>>

>> ________________________________
>> below:
>>
>> http://asctec-users.986163.n3.nabble.com/Re-Asctec-Pelican-atom-board-connection-tp2519038p2551474.html<http://asctec-users.986163.n3.nabble.com/Re-Asctec-Pelican-atom-board-connection-tp2519038p2551474.html?by-user=t>
>> To start a new topic under asctec-users, email
>> [hidden email]
>> To unsubscribe from asctec-users, click here.
>

> ________________________________
> below:
> http://asctec-users.986163.n3.nabble.com/Re-Asctec-Pelican-atom-board-connection-tp2519038p2553351.html<http://asctec-users.986163.n3.nabble.com/Re-Asctec-Pelican-atom-board-connection-tp2519038p2553351.html?by-user=t>
> To start a new topic under asctec-users, email
> [hidden email]<UrlBlockedError.aspx>
> To unsubscribe from asctec-users, click here.

Re: Asctec Pelican atom board connection

Steven Bellens
2011/2/23 markus.achtelik [via asctec-users]
<[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> yes, it's integrated into ROS. I split it into one part talking to the HL
> and one talking to ROS, so it should be easy to use it with e.g. LCM as
> well.

What does this LCM stand for? I saw it being mentioned before as well.

> I'm currently a bit busy since IROS deadline is approaching, but I could try
> getting something ready to test by middle/end of next week. There are also a
> few open questions I have regarding final message format etc... should we
> open another thread for that?

Best, as the original subject is pretty much out of scope for that :)

regards,

Steven

> Best, Markus

ROS & LCM communication (was: Re: Asctec Pelican atom board connection)

bouffard
Cool. Understood that you don't have much time for this now but if you
could throw what you have up on github or something (even just a
tarball emailed to the list) then that would give us some more to chew
on.

Cheers,
Pat