Use of UART1

Ping Li
Hi, Guys

My Asctec Pelican has an atomboard with two UART ports (/dev/ttyUSB0,/dev/ttyUSB1). One of them is used by the HLP and now I want to use the other one for my laser range finder. Can I just connect the device directly to UART1. Is there anything I should be careful about? I dot not want to damage any part, so I need to make sure everything is fine, Thank you very much.

Re: Use of UART1

andre@asctec
What type of laser range finder are you using? Do you have an exact model numer? How do you power it?

We need to make sure the signal levels match, otherwise you might damage the Atomboard.
Andre Ryll
AscTec Application Engineer

Re: Use of UART1

Ping Li
The range sensor is SF10/A (25 m range). I tried to connect this device to my laptop with Ubuntu installed and I can get the data using the ROS driver:

https://github.com/WAVELaboratory/ros_lightware

However, when I plugged it into Pelican using the USB port, it can not be recognized by the ftdi_sio driver. I mean I thought it would be assigned the port /dev/ttyUSB2.

After I add the device ID to  " /sys/bus/usb-serial/drivers/ftdi_sio/new_id ", it appears as /dev/ttyUSB2.
But I observed a huge delay in the sensor readings using the ROS driver. Another problem is that the device is not identified again after a reboot.

Is there anyway to fix the problem?

I did not try to use the UART1 port because I am not sure of the safety in doing so.

Thank you very much.