Using asctec_mav_framework with xbee

Severin Kacianka
Hello,

For some first tests I want to use a Hummingbird and a laptop as a proxy
for a pelican with a mastermind board (Hummingbirds are just so much
cheaper to replace ;)).
I could install ROS, asctec_mav_framework and flash the HL firmware
without any problem. The connection also works flawlessly when using the
wired serial connection. However as soon as I try do do the same with
xbee, I get a timeout:

$ roslaunch asctec_hl_interface fcu.launch
... logging to
/home/severin/.ros/log/be9a32a2-29b4-11e3-9ccd-60eb69af0010/roslaunch-ros-4050.log
Checking log directory for disk usage. This may take awhile.
Press Ctrl-C to interrupt
Done checking log file disk usage. Usage is <1GB.

started roslaunch server http://ros:52676/

SUMMARY
========

CLEAR PARAMETERS
  * /fcu/

PARAMETERS
  * /fcu/baudrate
*********snip*************
NODES
   /
     fcu (asctec_hl_interface/hl_node)

ROS_MASTER_URI=http://localhost:11311

core service [/rosout] found
process[fcu-1]: started with pid [4069]
[ INFO] [1380537104.331958286]: INFO: opened serial port /dev/ttyUSB0
with baudrate 460800
[ INFO] [1380537104.332369095]: configured serial port(s), checking
connection ...
waiting for acknowledged packet timed out
rx timeout
waiting for acknowledged packet timed out
waiting for acknowledged packet timed out
rx timeout
waiting for acknowledged packet timed out
waiting for acknowledged packet timed out
[ERROR] [1380537106.835831281]: failed
[ERROR] [1380537106.835900400]: unable to connect
rx timeout
rx timeout
[fcu-1] process has died [pid 4069, exit code 255, cmd
/home/severin/asctec_mav_framework/asctec_hl_interface/bin/hl_node
__name:=fcu
__log:=/home/severin/.ros/log/be9a32a2-29b4-11e3-9ccd-60eb69af0010/fcu-1.log].
log file:
/home/severin/.ros/log/be9a32a2-29b4-11e3-9ccd-60eb69af0010/fcu-1*.log
all processes on machine have died, roslaunch will exit
shutting down processing monitor...
... shutting down processing monitor complete
done

The xbee works fine with the Windows AutoPilot software, so I assume the
problem is not the modules themselves.

Does anyone have an idea what might be the problem or how I could debug it?

Thank you for your time,
Severin

Re: Using asctec_mav_framework with xbee

MarkusAchtelik
Hi,

asctec_mav_framework was originally intended for cabled use with an onboard computer only. It seems like the bandwidth is too high for communication in both directions. However, you can use two xbee pairs. One for rx, and one for tx. In this case, set the parameters of hl_node according to http://wiki.ros.org/asctec_hl_interface?distro=groovy#Serial_Connection_to_the_Highlevel_Processor

I thought that case was discussed here already, but couldn't find it immediately …

Re: Using asctec_mav_framework with xbee

Severin Kacianka
Hi Markus,

thank you very much for clearing that up!

Cheers,
Severin

On 10/09/2013 08:47 PM, MarkusAchtelik [via asctec-users] wrote:

> Hi,
>
> asctec_mav_framework was originally intended for cabled use with an
> onboard computer only. It seems like the bandwidth is too high for
> communication in both directions. However, you can use two xbee pairs.
> One for rx, and one for tx. In this case, set the parameters of hl_node
> according to
> http://wiki.ros.org/asctec_hl_interface?distro=groovy#Serial_Connection_to_the_Highlevel_Processor
>
> I thought that case was discussed here already, but couldn't find it
> immediately …

> <
> NAML
> <
http://asctec-users.986163.n3.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=macro_viewer&id=instant_html%21nabble%3Aemail.naml&base=nabble.naml.namespaces.BasicNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NabbleNamespace-nabble.view.web.template.NodeNamespace&breadcrumbs=notify_subscribers%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-instant_emails%21nabble%3Aemail.naml-send_instant_email%21nabble%3Aemail.naml>

Re: Using asctec_mav_framework with xbee

Zdenek Boucek
I tried to use MAV framework with xbee and desktop PC. It works but I wonder how to increase communication speed with two pairs of xbee. There is a problem that there is only one serial port from HL for communication (the second one is for the GPS module).