asctec_mon problem

jos.akhtman
Hi,

I am starting a new AscTec Pelican-based mobile mapping project. The asctec_drivers is a fantastic module that can potentially help me to really jump-start my project. I would be very interested to test, as well as contribute code. I have made a fresh install of Ubuntu 10.10 from the CCNY-provided image + ROS diamondback from binaries. The asctec_autopilot and the asctec_msgs packages work fine, but the shell-based monitor asctec_mon crashes with the output detailed below. I know that this package is considered unstable, but I would love to have it working. Any help would be much appreciated!

topoquad@topoquad:~$ roslaunch asctec_mon monitor.launch
... logging to /home/topoquad/.ros/log/6ad0f266-43eb-11e0-bbb3-000e8e309125/roslaunch-topoquad-3571.log
Checking log directory for disk usage. This may take awhile.
Press Ctrl-C to interrupt
Done checking log file disk usage. Usage is <1GB.

started roslaunch server http://topoquad:37885/

SUMMARY
========

PARAMETERS
 * /rosversion
 * /rosdistro
 * /monitor/record_cmd
 * /monitor/record_dir

NODES
  /
    monitor (asctec_mon/monitor.py)

ROS_MASTER_URI=http://localhost:11311

core service [/rosout] found
process[monitor-1]: started with pid [3589]

Traceback (most recent call last):
                                    File "/opt/ros/diamondback/stacks/asctec_drivers/asctec_mon/nodes/monitor.py", line 44, in <module>
                        curses.curs_set(0)
                                          _curses.error: curs_set() returned ERR
                                                                                ================================================================================REQUIRED process [monitor-1] has died!
                                                                                   process has died [pid 3589, exit code 1].
         log files: /home/topoquad/.ros/log/6ad0f266-43eb-11e0-bbb3-000e8e309125/monitor-1*.log
                                                                                               Initiating shutdown!
                                                                               [monitor-1] killing on exit
                                                                                                          shutting down processing monitor...
                          ... shutting down processing monitor complete
                                                                       done

Re: asctec_mon problem (update: resolved)

jos.akhtman
Resolved:

found the solution here: http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-extras-commits/2007-December/msg06555.html

in astec_mon/nodes/monitor.py

44c44,47
< curses.curs_set(0)
---
> try:
>     curses.curs_set(0)
> except:
>     pass
437c440,444
<     curses.nocbreak(); myscreen.keypad(0); curses.echo(); curses.curs_set(1)
---
>     curses.nocbreak(); myscreen.keypad(0); curses.echo()
>     try:
>    curses.curs_set(1)
>     except:
>         pass

Re: asctec_mon problem (update: resolved)

Bill Morris
Administrator
Thanks, I'll get this patched and rolled into the debian packages in the
next few days.

Re: asctec_mon problem (update: resolved)

jos.akhtman
Hi Bill,

although I got the asctec_mon running (actually, the problem was limited to running the module in the ssh shell), I still don't get how to use it. I am new to ROS and obviously I am missing something very basic, but I don't understand how to use asctec_msgs to publish /asctec/* topics. Would it be possible to post some very basic "geting started" instructions for dummies?

Many thanks,
Jos

Re: asctec_mon problem (update: resolved)

IvanDryanovski
Administrator
Hi Jos,

Check the diagram here: http://www.ros.org/wiki/asctec_proc

You need to run two pieces of software: First, asctec_autopilot, which
publishes the "/asctec/*" topics. Next, optionally, you can run
asctec_proc, which translates them to "/mav/*" topics.

I don't have a tutorial online yet - i should put one up soon. In the
meantime, attached is a simple launch file to get you started. It
enables enables polling of status and imu data (control is disabled).

I haven't used asctec_mon. If you are having trouble getting it
running, you can use the ros console tools for basic info. Once you
run the launch file, you can do "rostopic list" to see what's being
published, or "rostopic info <topicname>" to see more details about
that topic. Then, "rostopic echo <topic name>" to actually print the
contents of that topic.

So if everything runs correctly, you can type in "rostopic echo
/mav/imu" and see live imu data from the quadrotor.

Let me know if that helps!
Ivan

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 11:21 AM, jos.akhtman [via asctec-users]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> although I got the asctec_mon running (actually, the problem was limited to
> running the module in the ssh shell), I still don't get how to use it. I am
> new to ROS and obviously I am missing something very basic, but I don't
> understand how to use asctec_msgs to publish /asctec/* topics. Would it be
> possible to post some very basic "geting started" instructions for dummies?
>
> Many thanks,
> Jos

autopilot.launch (1K) Download Attachment

Re: asctec_mon problem (update: resolved)

bouffard
Hi Jos,

Assuming you also want to actually control the Pelican you'll need some additional software to do that. One option is in starmac-ros-pkg--this is a vehicle-agnostic framework for flying quadrotors with ROS. It was developed using CCNY's asctec_drivers package to communicate with a Pelican in the case of that quadrotor (and asctec_mon is also used as a status display). At the moment no other 'real' quadrotors are supported but there is a very simple simulation of a quadrotor that sort of acts as 'supported vehicle #2', and allows one to get a feel for the system out without any actual robot hardware.

Cheers,
Pat

P.S. One caveat if you go and download it right now--I need to make a change to adjust to a rework of the topic names used by asctec_drivers to match the released version of that package. It should be easily done, it just hasn't been a big priority but if it's a blocker for anyone I'll bump it up on my list. (ref: https://bugs.launchpad.net/starmac-ros-pkg/+bug/728670)

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> although I got the asctec_mon running (actually, the problem was limited to
> running the module in the ssh shell), I still don't get how to use it. I am
> new to ROS and obviously I am missing something very basic, but I don't
> understand how to use asctec_msgs to publish /asctec/* topics. Would it be
> possible to post some very basic "geting started" instructions for dummies?
>
> Many thanks,
> Jos

autopilot.launch (1K) Download Attachment

http://asctec-users.986163.n3.nabble.com/asctec-mon-problem-tp2602263p2627029.html
To start a new topic under asctec-users, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from asctec-users, click here.

Re: asctec_mon problem (update: resolved)

jos.akhtman
Hi Ivan,

many thanks for the info! much appreciated. I've got it working. The example launch file was the key, I think you should include one with the released code.

I'll try to play with the various parameters, and then switch to the remote control task. Perhaps using the starmac-ros-pkg, as suggested by Pat. It would be nice also to get the ground_station working. Right now, the package does not compile because of a missing asctec_msgs/Height.h header file. I have submitted a ticket on trac.

keep up the good work!
Jos

Re: asctec_mon problem (update: resolved)

jos.akhtman
Hi Pat, many thanks for the advice. I'll experiment with starmac-ros-pkg.

Best,
Jos