ground_station for AscTec platforms

jos.akhtman
Hi,

at present the wonderfully-looking ground_station package from the CCNY team does not compile because of the missing asctec_msgs/Height.h header file. I was wondering whether it is an active project, since it hasn't been updated for a while. Also, I've heard some rumors that the lead developer has graduated.

What would be really cool (and that's what I am planning to work towards) is to have a web-based ground station interface, so that you could monitor and control MAV from any browser without installing ROS, including the various iOS and Android devices.

Your comment would be much appreciated,
Jos

Re: ground_station for AscTec platforms

IvanDryanovski
Administrator
Hi Jos,

> at present the wonderfully-looking ground_station package from the CCNY team
> does not compile because of the missing asctec_msgs/Height.h header file. I
> was wondering whether it is an active project, since it hasn't been updated
> for a while. Also, I've heard some rumors that the lead developer has
> graduated.

The developer in charge for that did indeed leave our lab. I can take
a look at it and get it to a point where it compiles - i just need to
update the dependencies.

> What would be really cool (and that's what I am planning to work towards) is
> to have a web-based ground station interface, so that you could monitor and
> control MAV from any browser without installing ROS, including the various
> iOS and Android devices.

That sounds excellent

> Your comment would be much appreciated,
> Jos

Re: ground_station for AscTec platforms

Bill Morris
Administrator
On Tue, 2011-04-19 at 11:09 -0700, IvanDryanovski [via asctec-users]
wrote:

> > What would be really cool (and that's what I am planning to work
> towards) is
> > to have a web-based ground station interface, so that you could
> monitor and
> > control MAV from any browser without installing ROS, including the
> various
> > iOS and Android devices.
>
> That sounds excellent

There has also been some interest in supporting MAVLink so that we can
use qgroundcontrol and not have to roll our own.

Re: ground_station for AscTec platforms

jos.akhtman
It's a good point. I have looked into qgroundcontrol when I started my project and found it to be an overkill for my particular application. Also it was pretty unstable back then, kept crushing on me before I could make sense of all the information being displayed. This is not to say it isn't a very interesting and advanced project. So, it would be interesting to see how much interest there is for the mavlink/qgroundcontrol support on AscTec platforms.

http://asctec-users.986163.n3.nabble.com/ground-station-for-AscTec-platforms-tp2837791p2839625.html
To unsubscribe from ground_station for AscTec platforms, click here.

Re: ground_station for AscTec platforms

jos.akhtman
Hi Ivan,

did you have a chance to look into ground_control compilation issue?. The problem looks very simple, but I don't menage to solve it. I don't think it's just a matter of dependencies, and the asctec_msgs/Height.h header file seems to be quite important.

Thanks, Jos

Re: ground_station for AscTec platforms

IvanDryanovski
Administrator
> did you have a chance to look into ground_control compilation issue?. The
> problem looks very simple, but I don't menage to solve it. I don't think
> it's just a matter of dependencies, and the asctec_msgs/Height.h header file
> seems to be quite important.

Hi Jos,

I updated the ccny_ground_station to the point where it compiles.
Download (from git) the latest stacks of:

 - ccny_ground_station
(http://robotics.ccny.cuny.edu/git/ccny-ros-pkg/ccny_ground_station.git)
 - mav_tools (http://robotics.ccny.cuny.edu/git/ccny-ros-pkg/mav_tools.git)
 - asctec_drivers
(http://robotics.ccny.cuny.edu/git/ccny-ros-pkg/asctec_drivers.git)

mav tools and asctec drivers are abailable as debs, but we havent
released theur latest versions yet, so you need the git ones.

So the ground station compiles, and the test launch file we have runs.
What I didn't test is whether the topics connect properly (from the
asctec drivers to the ground station) - some remapping might be
necessary. Also at some point we switched fro the asctec frame
convention to the ROS frame comvention (ENU), so if you're using the
IMU widgets, they might be backwards. I'm working at home these couple
of days so I won't be able to test with the actual quadrotor.

We don't currently have the people to assign to continuing this
project, but if you are interested in taking this further, you can set
up a repo on git hub or we can give you access to our repo. If you
have any more questions, let me know, and I'll look into it

Hope this helps,

Ivan

Re: ground_station for AscTec platforms

jos.akhtman
Hi Ivan,

many thanks for the response. I have tried to compile the latest
version from git, but still no luck. I will try to look at it in more
detail on Monday and will let you know.

Have a great weekend,
Jos

Re: ground_station for AscTec platforms

jos.akhtman
Hi Ivan,

the version from git compiles indeed (I did not realize the
ccny-ros-pkgs.git was different from the gits of the individual
stacks), and the basic functionality it there. I will be doing some
further testing over the coming week and will be happy to send any
potential updates/fixes upstream.

Best,
Jos