no demo for communication between HLP and mastermind?

no demo for communication between HLP and mastermind?

_madcc
Hi all,
I want to use mastermind to control the HLP with the HLP serial 0, but it seems there is no demo about this,am I right?
so I have to write the communication interface myself?
I use HLP SDK2.0.
thank you !

Re: no demo for communication between HLP and mastermind?

DavidJensen
Hi madcc,

I believe you'll want to use the Asctec Communication Interface (ACI). There's some documentation and examples here: http://wiki.asctec.de/display/AR/AscTec+Communication+Interface

I would also recommend updating to SDK 3.0, which has ACI integrated already, although there are instructions for adding ACI to SDK 2.0 (I haven't followed these, so I can't comment on them).

The basic idea behind ACI is that the HLP is continually sending packets over the serial port to your computer (in this case, the Mastermind). You can also send packets to the HLP from your computer. When you write a piece of ACI code, you basically set up the packets (which variables should be included) that you want from the HLP, and then tell the HLP how often you want each packet, and ACI handles the rest of the communication interface.

Much of the information you would want from the HLP is already available (IMU, GPS, position estimates, other stystem status), but you can easily add your own variables if you want. For example, I created a program to send GPS waypoints from the onboard computer to the HLP, and I wanted the HLP to send back its current waypoint and the nav status, so I needed to add variables.

You can also also send commands to the HLP though ACI. Similar to receiving variables, you set up a packet by including which commands you want to send, and then use a function call to handle the communication over the serial connection.

*** One thing you should know is that there is a bug with the ACI that causes it to not read data properly. In the tutorial code to read from the serial port, there is a line that needs to be changed. See wayne's post here: http://asctec-users.986163.n3.nabble.com/Pelican-SDK-3-0-and-ACI-Remote-communication-td4024598.html#a4024602

Re: no demo for communication between HLP and mastermind?

_madcc
Hi David, Thank you so much for your suggestions.
I'll try the ACI.
I wrote some codes on PC to read data from HLP and control the Pelican,it works but seems to have some delay when using the XBee module,the communication rate don't reach what I expect,so I have to try other solutions, It seems ACI is pretty good.